Monday, April 6, 2015

missing mississippi

      The warm breeze whispers hello as it rushes by us, sending the abundance of lake soaked hair flying behind us. Bare and tan our legs hang from the old splintery dock. The sun kissed faces of my friends break into laughter while we patiently await the cool night air to rescue us from the wrath of the blazing sun. Slowly, the sunshine fades away and the moon makes its solo appearance; reflecting brightly in the water like a mirror. Freedom and fireflies surround us as we dance and sing under the Mississippi stars. I breathe in, taking in the wild crazyness that is summer.
      Every summer I spend weeks in a Mississippi pine-forest, 30 minutes from anything. 
And every summer I fall in love all over again. I enjoy the scent of pine that fills my lungs while I run around the lake. I adore the way the blue-raspberry snowcones turn my tongue fun colors. Cold morning mist sets on the dining hall windows and my soul smiles as I traces my name through the dew.
     I am so ready for Summer. I am ready for 112 degree weather and hilarious tan lines. I am ready for old dirt roads and perfect blue skies, only rays of yellow sun messing them up.  I am ready for windblown lake hair and cups of ice-cream. I need nights full of stars and pages full of bible verses, giant t-shirts and hard summer feet. I am in love with random reststop picnics and unknown BBQ restaurants. I need worn out backpacks and pink cheeks. None made up faces and fluffy beach towels. I want the smell of french fries shaped like smiley faces and the feeling of gross cabin floors. I want my hair in a french braid hanging down the back of my favorite tank top. I wish for worship and fellowship in ENO hammocks drifting in the lake breeze.
      I am in love with a season, a short time that only lasts a small while. I am in love with sourless moments, a peaceful lifestyle. Maybe I am in love with everything different, everything that only comes once a year.
I am, most defiantly, in love with the absence of what my life is now. Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment